Saturday, September 11, 2010

How A Friendship Ended

A month ago, i went out for a lunch with someone that i knew in campus since i was in my freshmen year, Since it was her turn to take me out, we went to Bangsar, her most favourite spot to hang out. It was nothing between her and i because we were practically like brother and sister. I admired her in college, not only because she's a 4 flat student, she's also have a heart of a gold, but what i saw in her that day, changed my whole perception towards her. The story goes like this:

While we were waiting for our seats,(i'll refer her as J), she said to me:

J: I really like this whole 1 Malaysia concept, really make everything easier and
gives equality to all race. Its good to know that our country is in a good term.

Myself: Yeah, if Malaysia has only one race, i will just pack my things up and migrate to somewhere even better with my family. Can u imagine? only one type of food, and the radios would only play the same language song.

J: Definitely! I could imagine. Probably Dubai would be the place i would migrate.

I just sniggered because i was starving, almost made my mind crazy. We were lucky to know that there was an available table for two. The one who ushered us was not a Malaysian and i could tell. I got myself correct as he was the one who took our order and introduced himself. His name was Annandar, he was from Turkey, a pure turk and he was in his 20's. Probably a foreign exchange student who wants to get more pocket money. While he was taking our order, he didn't pronounce the menu precisely, he was mumnbling but i certainly get him, english is his second language. I said thank you, with a smile as a polite gesture. On the other hand, J was being very rude to the waiter/usherer.

J: Nooo! Berapa kali nak cakap?! I nak Chicken Picatta!
(How many times should i tell you, i want Chicken Picatta!)

Myself: Can you just hold it, take it easy will ya?

The waiter left, i could feel the intensity in the air, it was so intense, i tried to be cool, calm and collected. She brought her negativity and its not good.

Myself: you shouldn't be treating him that way, that man has dignity.

J: Who even cares, he's only a foreigner.

I went speechless. It was the most ironic moment ever. The shallowest statement came out from the mouth of this 4 flat student. I kept quiet, and i suddenly thought of an idea. I put her in a sudden test, telling her nothing. This is one of the way for me to measure one's mind and the friendship metre. While we were waiting for our lunch to be serve, a bunch of beautiful, sexy chinese teenage girls went inside the restaurant. So J whispered.

J: you know, i could never get this Chinese girls, why do they have to wear skimpy outfit? I mean, hello, their boobs are barely there and look at their eyes, slant eyes!

Myself: Their eyes make them exotic, its their asset. Why do you have to criticize the way they look and look at it the bad way. And its a free country here, they could wear anything they want. Whats ur problem?

She just rolled her eyes and just kept fanning herself with her Vietnam hand made fan. It was as if i am having a lunch with a Datin. She was the spitting reflection of a snooty, close minded, self absorbed Datin! I was laughing in my heart, she looked like a real superficial datin. So she went on and on telling me about her holiday in South France, i guess the word French Riviera came out from her mouth. I don't know. I can't tell whether she was bragging about it, or just rubbing it in. Probably a little bit of both. A few moment later, our food was served by a lovely Indian lady. "bon apetite" she said, and i replied "merci beaucoup". So did J, but she gave the indian lady a stink eye. People could tell that her thank you was not sincerely said. I got a bit annoyed, and asked:

Myself: What's with the stink eye?

J: What do you mean?

Myself: I saw that, you gave her the stink eye.

She let out a big sigh, almost the sigh of "fine, I'll tell you"

Myself: What?

J: She's an Indian.

Myself: And that's suppose to be a problem to you because...?

J: I'm sorry but, you know, Indian loves dogs.

Myself: I couldn't help but loving both dogs and cats too, so what?

J: Can u imagine? Probably at home, she has one, and she touched it and let the damn dog lick all over her.. EEeee.. so disgusting. She's serving our food some more. I never touch dog! It's haram.

Myself: But you drink alcohol...

J: That's different! Alcohol is not dog!

I gave her the WTF look and i felt like throwing my bag right to her face. How could she not relate a dog and an alcohol? Is she that stupid?

Myself: My bestfriend has dogs. We hug and touch each other and do a lot of stuff like what any bestfriend does. Ur kinda offending me. What is wrong with you? U insulted Malay when we were in campus, now ur insulting chinese and indian and foreigners, They're Malaysians, how could you label them? Whats the difference? We are all the same! We're human beings.

J: Alah, why you have to be offended?So emo. I'm just saying, that's all.

The urge of kicking her went north.

J: You know, a childhood friend of mine? From the UK? Ashley Fuller?

That name rang my bell, she was J's childhood friend. Met her once. Known for her exquisite beauty that she has.

Myself: Yeah! I remember her. She was really nice and pretty. When will she be here again?

J: I don't know, did u know she is converting into Moslem?

Myself: Really? Pretty shocking huh? So what's her moslem name?

J: She's not changing her name.

Myself: that's good. She should keep her real name. Her name is nice.

J gave me surprised look and glared at me like she wants to feed on me. I was too tired of looking at her, i chose to ignore and just finish up my meal.

J: Keep her real name? Ur crazy! She must change her name!

Myself: Why should she? She doesn't have to change her name. Thats absurd. Let her keep her real name.

J: That's not appropriate!

Myself: Whats not appropriate is to change her name. You don't have to change ur name to be a moslem! She has the right to keep her old name. Paula Abdul sounds moslem,but she clearly isn't! You know, malays with moslem name nowadays can't even keep their act together, they're commiting adultery, and shit. I wouldn't say all, but there's some. These people with moslem name gives bad remarks to Islam. Islam isn't the problem, but individual is.

My mind went all over the place. My splashing urge of angerness were everywhere, so i took out a 60 dollar bill, put it on the table and got out of the chair gently and this is what i told her:

"I'm sick of you insulting people, weren't you the one who's supporting the idea of 1 Malaysia concept? When we were in campus, you were telling me how uncivillised the malay is, and how laidback they are, and now you're doing this. I'm very offended. Why do you have to be this way? you know ur rich and everything, ur dad owns a big company, but that doesn't gives u the right to be judgemental. your father's company consists if multiple of races. They generates ur father's company and malaysia's economy too. They're your dad's biggest asset. Without them, you wouldn't be travelling to French Riviera or living the life that everyone dying to live. I looked up to you. I thought u were different. Probably, you're not. I'm sorry... I've got a train to catch"

The restaurant was filled with awkward silence. I got used to it, this isn't my first time making a scene in a restaurant. I've stormed out of the place and left her all alone. I felt sorry for her, but hey, she's still going back with her 7 Series BMW.
It was the most memorable day in my life as i ended a friendship and stood up for what i strongly believe. It was also the day that i sees things in a different angle and view and how i measure the values that i've learned. One thing that i know is that, the reflection in the mirror isn't always what we see. Sometimes, its the opposite of what we see. Sometimes they're bad and sometimes they're good. ;-)

No comments: